Monday, August 30, 2010

Italy Reflection

This is a blog entry I wrote after Italy.. posting it here and will have a new entry for today hopefully later today :)


After traveling over 5,000 miles and spending hours on trains and various other forms of transportation, my perception of Italy was solidifed.

It is a country of culture, joy, sheer natural beauty, and meticulous working citizens; however, most importantly, one that leaves a lasting impression on me.

I typically spend copious amounts of time each month dreaming about where my next travels will take me to, and like no where before, I leave Italy in fascination of the functionality of society and their way of life.

It is never the perfect situation or even genius idea to visit a country during the midst of the hottest month of the year, but even with the sweltering and unbearable heat, the grandeur of it's charm and history rose above all else. From the fast paced, marvelous, and magnificent Rome to the quaint quiet towns in the Cinque Terre and in the Tuscan countryside, no matter where I stepped foot, I saw and observed manners and ways of life I have seen no where else.

There was a sense of quiet organization. Things get done - even in the remote areas where there was hardly civilization - there was a point of life and freshness.

At home, everything is perfect clockwork. The trash is picked up each week at the same time, morning rush hour never changes, people speed through life, and products and goods are available anytime you need them. We in the US have a quality of life that I am sure many envy, but I can honestly say that I left Italy appreciating the free spirit that seems to have been lost back home.

I enjoyed my morning coffee slowly while standing at the bar in deep conversation. I watched locals walk around the city with their ecletic fashion sense in the middle of the day, closing their businesses for an afternoon break. I observed wine and beer with lunch during the work day, and meals with family and friends that began at 11pm and lasted until you wanted them to. No one was expected to open shop until after 10am or stay past 7pm. While on a logistical level, this may seem to be a nightmare to an American, once a habit, people will plan accordingly. We live in a country of NOW - it is a habit for us to get what we want when we want it. I am taking away from my experiences there to try to relax and enjoy life a bit more, as there is quite a bit to absorb in terms of observation on a daily basis even in my own life.


-----

Onto the beauty of the landscape of this finely created masterpiece by God. Only one thought comes to mind when attempting to describe the landscapes I had the priviledge of seeing - pure artwork. The detail of the architecture, with such historical significance is something only God can give someone the mind to sculpt. The countryside rolling with picturesque tree covered mountains and rock formations protuding out to remind you of their eruption from earth. The tiny multi colored farm houses with fences surrounding them and protecting their lands. And the grand sea, endless and vast. It's all a bit too much take in. The world was created by a power much more supreme than I can amount to in words. I sat in the train and took it all in. One breath at a time, I saw the artwork that had been painted for me to be in awe of. And in awe I was.

My eyes had tears as I watched all of this and realized that there is no reason to worry about things in life. It's all in the hands of someone else, not me. Why spend time fretting about life, when in every corner lies something new to experience and draw positive energy?

We tend to draw thoughts and correlations from our experiences and our daily interactions. I feel much more peaceful after leaving Italy and knowing that there is someone above looking out over all of us. What else can explain the masterpiece that is Earth?

As I strolled through the Borghese and Uffizi Galleries, and the Sistine Chapel, along with a number of other breathtaking art museums - I was again in deep admiration. God blessed the likes of Rafael, Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Bernini, and so many more with talent that was far beyond their times. The lavish and ornate artwork left me with my jaw open and saying the word "wow" more times then I can count.

I sit here on the plane now venturing back to my home, a place of comfort and normalization. But I leave with peace of mind and appreciation for the smaller things in life. I understand the magnitude of creation a bit better, or maybe I just took some time to reflect on it during this experience.

I thank Italy for reminding me that there is more to life than work, habit, and mundane days. Life is full of surprises and each day should bring a new experience or at least appreciation for the lives we have been given. We are all lucky to be here and present.



Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment